Friday, October 25, 2013

P.I.E.S.

Hey Queens
                 
          Last Friday was the start of new clubs for my students & I. The club I chose was the girl empowerment club I began last year. The reason why I began the club last year is because I notices my students, specifically my girls students had been thinking about the wrong things to be the ages of 7 to 9. All of them have beautiful hearts but like a lot of us there were some things that they needed to work on. Those things are attitude, they way they behaved as girls, as well as self image meaning self esteem.

    It had weighed heavily on my heart before I came to the conclusion that the girl empowerment club would be perfect resolution or at least a great start to building my girls up. P.I.E.S is an acronym meaning Positive Intelligent Extraordinary Sisters. I want to teach them and show them the effect of having a good attitude, how treating.others with kindness stands out, how to resolve conflicts, about sisterhood, but moat importantly to love themselves. The area our school is located in is a low income area, some of what they see may not be so positive or like my sisters in I, single family home and mom working and going to school to provide, and also some are in the judicial system . They need that positive reinforcement when mom or dad isn't around to provide it, they need to know that regardless of what may go on at school, or at home that they have someone or a group of people that loves them and truly wants the best for them.
  
     I would like my P.I.E.S. to be one of the  foundations for my girls to encourage them, empower them to be better and do better. Last year P.I.E.S. made small strides with some of my girls and I pray this year we can make even bigger strides in helping my girls succeed. Today is our Breast Cancer Awareness day at our after school program and my girls made a Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon created from their hands. They know what Breast Cancer is, they're aware and we fully support the fight. I am truly excited to see whats to come with the blog, Queens Stand Up movement and P.I.E.S.
   Looking forward to sharing more stories with you all.
               Peace &Blessings
                     Queens. -DW

No comments:

Post a Comment